Thursday, May 1, 2008

The Good and the Waiting

In my first blog I spoke of telling the teacher I supplemental instruct for about my woes and to let me know if he heard of something that would help me out. He has done more than that. He called me to his office and in no uncertain terms said he believed I should be in the school and had found a path that might help me out. Then he told me he had spoken with the undergraduate dean of the chemistry department and the dean now wanted to speak with me.

Who was I to dally? I thanked him profusely and clicked my heals with joy (oh yes quite literally)! I was so excited to have any sort of hope.

The undergraduate dean saw me immediately and said that if Dr Gunnoe thought they needed me in the department then he would do it all he could to keep me in school and get me into the department. WOW! I about fell right on over in SHOCK! He was so kind and set out a plan for us to follow to try to make it work. "It" being that I would apply for admissions even though I was told admissions were over and he would make sure I was accepted into the Chemistry department as a Chemistry BA student.

How does that help? When I am accepted I can get governement loans and grants. He also suggested that he may be able to find a scholarship for me...WOW! If only...!

So I have submitted my application and it is waiting for one of my transcripts to make its way there via USPS. Then my application should wind its way slowly through the beauracracy of the school where it will land on the desk of my new supporter, the dean of the chemistry department.

I am also submitting my "long form" for in-state tuition. After looking at all my "evidence" for being eligible to get in-state tuition it seems it will take a miracle to get me (and Charles) that status. We spread out getting some of the neccesary things done to keep from getting credit card debt. That is a ding against us. We have a house in another state, and that is a ding against us.

Sadly, I have found out that Dr Gunnoe has accepted an offer from the University of Virginia so he will not be here next year. He is doing highly sought after research in the field of inorganic chemistry and is a wonderful chemist. I knew that he did research but to me he is a great teacher who kindly put himself on the line for my dream. Because he believes in me. What a humbling experience. If it all didn't work out I would have seen God's love in each of these people who took their time to help one student in a sea of students at that school.

So I patiently at times (thanks to the comfort of my Friend and friends) and not so patiently at times await the grand finalle of my latest adventure. This all so wonderful but even more wonderful has been my ability to concentrate on my finals and not worry because I have a Friend who always comes through with the strength I need when I need it. And it isn't over...I am still waiting and, for me, waiting is one of the hardest parts.

No comments: