Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Intimate Acquaintance with Poison Ivy

Every had poison ivy? Not me...before now anyway.

Well for the last two weeks I have been gaining an intimate knowledge of poison ivy reactions.

A couple Sabbath's ago I went strolling with my dearest in the UNC Botanical garden. It was a lovely day looking at the most common and rarest of plants. Bladder Ferns or carnivorous plants, anyone? We played with a sensitive plant, making its little leaves close up with a gentle brush. We even got to sit and listen to what we call "rubber band" frogs. Hold a fat rubber band extremely taut and *twang* it. That is the sound the frog makes.

We had identified poison ivy through out the gardens in the more "brushy" and "wild" parts. But we didn't go wondering off the trail so we didn't think much of it.

Ha, maybe we should have!

Tuesday last week I found myself digging at my neck while I worked at the computer. Yep a big old rash on the underside of my chin and left side of my neck. Then it showed up on my lip. Later that week it swelled up my left ear something fierce. My ear stopped having delicate little folds and became a festering red lump of flesh.

Nice.

But from pictures I saw online I didn't get it HALF as bad as some people have. :)

The excitement of a new place!

Wonder if I will come out infected with it head to toe when backpacking. Guess we'll see. :D Hopefully we can go backpacking a couple weeks from now.

No comments: