Sunday, June 3, 2007

Thankful for My Nature

This morning I was reading in James. There have been a lot of times, as of late, that I have really complained loudly to God about that fact that I remain attracted to sin after declaring my loyalty to Him. That I still get irritated with Charles or even look uncharitably at old friends who are lying to cover their hurtful and evil tracks.

While reading James 1 it hit me like a load of bricks. In essence he is saying to me, "Heather, thank God when you are tempted (and heck nothing tempts me more than my own desires to do what I want). Because those temptations develop perseverance and patience in you." Well really, I have all the patience I need, thanks, can we move on!?! No, patience is not a strong point of mine. And slowly it dawned on me, it is like exercising to get ready to climb a mt. How are you going to develop those muscles without pushing, straining and building those muscles with "tests" of their strength.

Now really I have no desire to be a baby Christian for the rest of my life. Being tossed about by the latest emotion of the day. Not trusting God to provide the money I need and hording it out of fear. Yeh, I paid tithe this weekend even though I didn't feel I had the money.

Which brings me to another point...Rich Dad Poor Dad talks about the poor mentality and the grasping for money. He encourages you to give tithe or donate money no matter how little you have. I find that when I give there are several things in my attitude that changes. First, for me, I am thanking God for the blessing of even being able to make money, I am putting Him above my own wants which helps root out the selfishness in my soul (which pride and selfishness are one of the biggest struggles I have when you take it down to the root), and giving away money helps me feel wealthy. It changes my attitude toward money from one of desperate clutching to one of realizing how blessed I really am.

No comments: