Friday, April 25, 2008

Is this how a dream dies?

So this has been a week for the records. By the way, we haven't found a car to replace Blueberry so we are a one car family which is difficult when Charles' school is 12 miles N and mine 15 miles S and we are in school the same days. :) But there could be a good reason for not finding a car yet.

Sometime around Monday I applied for my loan for this semester. So far there have been no problems so I didn't think too much about it. I waited until we really needed the money to pay rent, bills and summer tuition before applying. Why not, there hadn't been any problems and it keeps us from being tempted to waste money.

Why not became apparent when they (being the application with instant decision) flatly refused to give me a loan for the summer. No one at the company could tell me why. My credit is still great...but they insisted it was probably my credit. I get a little impatient...I just checked my credit and it is excellent what is the deal? No one can seem to figure it out...just wait for the letter they say.

So I go to school and head to financial aid to see what they might say. "Sorry, so sorry, go apply to get into a degree program and then we can help you. With the housing market private loans are just tightening up." So I trudge around to registration and records and ask about applying. "Sorry, so sorry, the deadline for fall '08 registration has passed. You are too late." WHAT?!?!! The shock I am in keeps me from desintegrating right there in their office. I walk out with my eyes fixed into a distant stare. Is this for real? Is this how dreams die?

Yes, I can apply for Spring 2009 but what do I do until then? I have a class to attend my class I am a supplemental instructor for Chemistry 101. I wander in and hazily sit down. Near the end I decide to ask the professor I work with to keep his ears open for any jobs or anything that might help but he is mobbed with around 50 kids trying to get past tests. I wander away.

In the hall I call Mom. I know that this is my time to decide to trust God and to let it go, it is something I struggle with...trusting like a child and letting go. I want to but yet I don't. Mom and I talk. She is curious to see what God will do, what's the next thing He has in mind. I am not ready for that I am just upset. Also, I can ask Him to take it but underneath my body is clenched, I am one fried nerve away from meltdown.

From that point I am too busy to think. I have supplemental instruction, SI, to do for 1 hour and then I get a ride home with Charles. After SI a student needs extra help so I help him. We get home around 7pm.

After finishing my list of homework for the night, I write an email to my professor that I work with for SI asking him to keep his ears open for a job or anything, I read a little and fall into bed. I just can't deal with it. I can't change how I feel. I can't make myself trust. Sadly, I cry out to God...I just can't do it! I fall asleep.

The next morning I wake up. Oddly, this morning I find myself curious what is next. I haven't done anything but my attitude has changed. I humbly thank God for the change.

Wouldn't it be great if I just stayed changed, my attitude uplifted? Yes it would but that isn't how it goes. When I catch myself worrying, I turn to God and ask Him to take it again. Thankfully, from my experience He doesn't ask me to fix my weakness forever I have found He simply asks that at the moment I give it up to Him. This happens A LOT! I give up my stress, worry and frustration and 15 minutes, 1 minute, 15 seconds later its back again. Once again I give it up to my Friend and turn my attention to what I need to be doing.

Maybe someday I will be completely trusting and not struggle so hard. But for now I struggle not knowing the future and continually giving up my pride and control. Asking for His strength to accept what the future might hold.

No comments: